We at St. Stephen’s have been blessed by our founders with a wonderful piece of property and a beautiful building. Recently, some serious events involving our light fixtures, electrical panel and generator have made it obvious that our wonderful building and property need some attention. Some work is necessary because the building is 50 years old, and some because some maintenance has been deferred. The Bishop’s Committee has compiled a long list of projects, and with a lot of work on Claire Wachter’s part, has approximate costs for completion of each.
In consultation with Bishop Sean, we have decided to move forward with projects that will total approximately $100,000. This is by no means the entire list of what needs to be done, but will address the most urgent. The Bishop’s Committee has appointed a Property Committee to manage these projects. At least two, and preferably three bids will be obtained for each project. Authority to choose a bid and let a contract will remain with the Bishop’s Committee. The money to fund the projects will come from our Property Fund and from the gift left to St. Stephen’s by Jean Mertens. Additionally, we have applied for a Diocesan grant and will also welcome contributions from parishioners specified for these projects.
The list of approved projects includes:
- Replacement of two electric panels
- Replacement of Exit signs with battery operated units
- Replacement of the flat roof with a new roof with improved drainage
- Replacement of current fluorescent light fixtures with LED lighting (requires fewer fixtures and less energy to power)
- Replacement of ceiling tiles (many are stained and / or broken)
- Improve internet reception and wifi to all areas of the building
- Upgrade the kitchen with a three basin sink and backsplash to allow for application for a yearly food license from the Health Department
- Paint and replace deteriorating facia on building exterior
- Tree trimming and removal of evergreens along the north boundary of the property to improve the tree health and prevent loss of trees
A more detailed list with approximate costs will be posted on the bulletin board in the hallway outside of the sanctuary. As bids are accepted and work is scheduled, we will be communicating to all of you when the work is to be done, who will be doing the work, and the dollar amount of the contract.
Please feel free to speak with any member of the Bishop’s Committee, or Claire Wachter with any questions or concerns you have. We are all excited to see these improvements and updates completed!